Monday 7 December 2015

Tuesday November 24th 2015



Another rest day at the lodge yesterday , then today some of us trekked up the nearby ridge, on the hottest day yet. 36 degrees centigrade, and up, and up, and up we went, scaring the Baboons off seconds before we arrived. After 2 and a half hours, we were rewarded with the most incredible view over the vastness that sums up Africa for me. Flat pains, and in the distance mountains, more mountains.....it was beautiful. We could see the camp, and entertained ourselves for a while by shouting down to the those who had decided tho take the day off to rest. Apparently we looked like little ants , we were so high up. I don't think I have ever lost so much fluid on a day's walk, but it was worth it.

So that's it. I've laughed so much my sides hurt, I've cried, I've felt more useful than I have for a long time ( and mostly I was just running about trying to keep an orderly queue). I've been dive bombed by enormous  "George's"( the nickname we have given to the huge dung beetles that flap about clumsily at supper time- completely harmless, but a bit of a surprise when they fly into your ear). I've washed my hands in a sink with tiny  beetles in it , and apologised to them while I dry my hands. I've waved, and Jambo'd my way to remote schools, blown bubbles for children who are a bit confused by them to start with, then start laughing with delight and trying to catch them. I've cuddled lovely babies while their mothers have treatment, pulled thorns out of children's feet , been laughed at by rows of women and teenage girls as I try out my Kiswahili -   I've loved every minute of it. We have given consultations and medication to over 1500 people, have dewormed around 3000 in total and have extracted over 150 teeth......If any of my friends and colleagues fancy joining us next year, please do, you won't regret it. To those of you that have shared this very special experience with me - thank you,   and see you all next year !

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Kenya blog Ali! Reading it is like re-living it! So proud to say i worked along side you!See you next year! xxx

    ReplyDelete