Thursday 3 December 2015

Wednesday November 18th 2015


Today was Kale school, a little further away, but the other way out of the camp, where the road was not so damaged. Across the fields we went, piled into the truck, and set off again across stunning landscape. We passed fields being ploughed with oxen, cacti that had burst into flower with the rains,  Bruce Springstein blaring out of the speakers. The younger members of our group were not so word perfect as the rest of us....
I got to do some consulting today, alongside a Kenyan nurse who nurtured me through the " waist pains" , the " I feel pain in my body" , and the daunting sight of mothers bearing down on me with 4 children, all needing the "Daktari " eek ! The drugs are challenging, but it was a great learning experience- I looked in ears, listened to chests- everything I never do in my everyday job . I may even be let loose on my own when I've spent a day in the dispensary learning  the drugs.
In order to catch up for our lost day we are running a third clinic tomorrow at Buguta, then there is "rest day" - weather permitting, a day in a lodge with a pool and cocktails, near a watering hole. We've only been here a week, but it already has achieved mythical status, with Pina Coladas, handsome pool boys and blazing sunshine all day. Let's just hope the road is still there by then.


No comments:

Post a Comment